What is Neuro-Cranial Restructuring?
Dr. Hillary explains:
NeuroCranial Restructuring ® (NCR) is a profound and unique cranial technique, which facilitates the cranium, skeletal, muscular, and neurological systems to align, eliminating pain and restoring function and mobility to the body.
NCR was developed in the early 90s by Dr Dean Howell ND, as a progressed and personally specific form of Bilateral Nasal Specific (BNS), a therapy used since the 1930's to treat a number of conditions including chronic sinusitis, and headaches.
Through specialized massage techniques, precise proprioceptive testing, and specified cranial adjustments, NCR is more effective and much less traumatic than BNS.
By releasing dysfunctional cranial patterns caused by birth traumas, head/body injuries, emotional traumas, or mental stressors, patients understand what is means to have a true sense of well being in all aspects of their lives.
By optimizing structure, function is restored, and better health is experienced!
NeuroCranial Restructuring focuses on assessment and treatment of the cause- not just alleviating the symptoms of structural misalignment.
Benefits include: elimination of headaches, head/neck/back pain, a wider more symmetrical face that allows for better breathing and decreased sinus congestion and infections, septum deviation straightening without surgery, increased range of motion in the neck and back, improved posture, less wrinkles, improved mood and better sleep - truly the list goes on and on. Could you benefit from NCR?
Watch Dr Hillary's February 2013 NCR Basics 101 Webinar here. Make sure to push SLIDES tab on left hand side to see slides.
Naturopathic Consent For Treatment Form (WA State) //
Download (61Kb, pdf)
Local Accomodations (WA - Snohomish) //
Download (84Kb, pdf)
Naturopathic Consent For Treatment Form (MT State) //
Download (62Kb, pdf)
Patient Intake Form (MT State) //
Download (227Kb, pdf)
Release Form (WA State) //
Download (94Kb, pdf)
WA Patient Intake/Health History //
Download (156Kb, pdf)
WA NCR Release for Treatment //
Download (99Kb, pdf)
Patient Intake Form (WA State) //
Download (225Kb, pdf)
Release Form (MT State) //
Download (95Kb, pdf)
WA Consent for Naturopathic Care //
Download (61Kb, pdf)
More Info: Beauty and Symmetry: NCR Can Improve How You Look
Beauty and Symmetry: NCR Can Improve How You Look
Head and facial shape changes over time, due to age, gravity, injuries, stress, poor diet, and dental work. As this happens more asymmetries are noticed in the face, the skin begins to lose it's elasticity, and wrinkles appear in areas of least resistance.
By moving the cranial bones, NCR can:
1) Widen and create symmetry of the eyes
2) Lift the eyebrows
3) Restore and lift cheekbones
4) Straighten the nose and or elevate the nasal bridge
5) Soften fine lines and wrinkles
6) Pronounce the jawline, helping to tighten the skin of the neck.
7) Those with tighter, narrow heads will notice the benefits of more symmetry, widening of high narrow palettes, and increasing space for the teeth.
All this without invasive surgery, shots, or chemicals and with all the benefits of better posture, less pain, and mental clarity!
Patient before and after NCR.
More Info: Common Conditions Improved With NCR
Common Conditions Improved With NCR
We could say that NCR can help with so many conditions, it's hard to put them all here. Below are the most common conditions that we see in our office.
You DO NOT have to have a "medical" condition to benefit from NCR!!
*Health enthusiasts who want to maintain proper posture, improve their brain health, and create balance and symmetry in their lives!
Headaches, Head pressure, Migraines
Whiplash injuries: Neck pain, low back pain, sciatica
Sinusitis, deviated septum, snoring
Fibromyalgia, body pain.
Anxiety, depression, PTSD
Birth trauma: Plagiocephaly and other cranial malformations
Scoliosis, poor posture
Orthodontic problems, dental trauma
TMJ, ringing in ears, ear pain
Down's Syndrome and Cerebral Palsy.
More Info: The Anatomy Of An Injury
The Anatomy Of An Injury
If you haven't seen it yet, you'll want to take a look at Dr. Hillary's in-depth orientation on head trauma and injury, and how NCR aids in healing. It covers this topic more in detail and has cool visual aids!
Traditional care of the physical body is to first look at the spine - starting at C1, or the atlas. Remember the story of Atlas who held the world on his shoulders? It's a great metaphor for our spine and skull.
The skull is the largest and heaviest structure of our skeletal system, and within it houses the most important organs, the brain and the pituitary gland. Within the skull, there is a large winged bone, called the sphenoid. It touches every bone of the skull with the exception of the mandible and the nasal bones, and it carries on its very center, or sella turcica, the pituitary gland. In cranial therapy, we consider the sphenoid to be the 1st vertebrae, relating to its placement above the atlas. The sphenoid bone slowly moves throughout life, helping to pump cerebral spinal fluid around the brain and up and down the spinal cord. Also holding the pituitary, its placement becomes important for many hormonal and metabolic systems.
Within the skull there are layers of connective tissue known as the meninges. The meninges move down the spinal cord as its protective covering, and then covering the nerves as they exit the spinal cord, and terminate as fascia/connective tissue throughout the rest of the body. The sphenoid, meninges, and cerebral spinal fluid all work together to create roundness of the skull, symmetry of the face, lubrication of the brain with healthy amounts of neurotransmitters, and postural patterns throughout the body.
Now lets adds an injury of some sort, whether it be forceps during delivery, hitting your head on the windshield, breaking your nose during a football game, or experiencing emotional grief. Any kind of trauma will change the position of the sphenoid bone, and thus all the other bones of the head and face will have to change is some way. The sphenoid will not be able to move freely in the same way, and in turn the meningeal system will become compromised. The meninges will become "tight" and thus can create tension all the way down into the feet, since the connective tissue in your feet is related to the meninges in your skull. Also the cerebral spinal fluid may not be able to saturate parts of the brain, and the pituitary gland will be compromised. Now since the head changes shape, so must the spine, and the muscles that were primarily used for range of motion, now have to make up for the slack of the skeletal system to hold the head up.
So what does this patient look and feel like? A child who can't breath through his nose to breastfeed and never grows out of his "cone head", a woman with severe neck and back pain and a headache that hasn't gone away since her accident, an athlete who notices he can't remember things as well and has chronic sinus problems, and a widower who has insomnia, weight gain, and severe long-lasting fatigue. Sound familiar? The structure and function of our skull and nervous system is essential for true vitality. NCR may fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle that you feel have never been addressed!!
Read how NCR helped a teenager with sleep apnea and sensory integration disorder.
Listen and watch Dr Hillary's February 2013 NCR Basics 101 Webinar here.
More Info: Newborns and Children can benefit from NCR
Newborns and Children can benefit from NCR
NCR is not only for adults, actually newborns and children can greatly benefit. Birth is itself a natural trauma to the head, that in some children, can cause defects such as mishapen heads, breathing problems, sensory issues, behavioral dysfunction, and even pain.
Below is an example of the many children that suffer with headaches, as did Dr Hillary.
- May 9, 2006 -- Kids who have frequent migraines and other types of severe headaches are also more likely to have emotional, behavioral, and social problems, according to findings from the first-ever national study of headaches and mental health among children.
- Researchers with the CDC estimated that more than 3.7 million children in the U.S. (ages 4 to 17) have experienced frequent and severe headaches over the past year. Not surprisingly, children who have frequent headache pain are also more likely to report decreased quality of life.
- A survey showed that children with frequent severe headaches were 3.5 times more likely than other children to report emotional symptoms, including being worried, unhappy, nervous, and scared.They were 2.5 times more likely than children without frequent headaches to exhibit behavioral problems such as anger, fighting, lying, and cheating. And they were 2.6 times more likely to exhibit problems with hyperactivity and inattention.
- Strine, T.W. Pediatrics, May 2006; vol 116: pp 1728-1736
More Info: The Four-Day NCR Session and Return Care
The Four-Day NCR Session and Return Care
The Four-Day NCR Session
NCR treatment is 4 consecutive days, or a session. This is to optimize movement of the skull and train the nervous system, creating lasting and permanent results. T
he treatments begin with a specialized bodywork treatment (Dr Lampers was originally a teacher of NCR massage) and then assessment and proprioceptive testing.
The cranial treatment is the last part of the treatment, where a small balloon is inserted in the nasal cavity to push against the sphenoid, sometimes causing mild discomfort, but lasting only seconds and without the use of harmful anesthetic and the downtime of recovery!
Before and after pictures are taken at each new session and a copy is given to the patient with the Dr's assessment after each session. (Pictures are optional.) For examples of NCR's sometimes dramatic effects on patients, be sure and visit the Testimonials.
Your continued NCR care is identical to your initial session, but is cheaper! Changes are monitored during each session. On average we estimate that it takes between 4-6 sessions to obtain optimal results, but this can be less or more, varying on the patient and how long they have been experiencing dysfunction. Dr Lampers has the best and most permanent results with patients who get their NCR sessions 1-3 months apart.
More Info: Contraindications & Cautions
Contraindications & Cautions
There are some conditions that would be contraindicated for NCR therapy:
- Acute nasal or facial fractures - all fractures must be healed prior to treatment.
- Stitches in the nasal area
- Those with severe bleeding disorders such as hemophilia. even though it is very rare, sometimes there can be bleeding during the procedure.
- An adult patient who is agreeing to treatment only at the request of a significant other but does not fully understand why they are there. Dr Hillary will not treat someone who is not fully aware of why they are there and is only feeling pressured by another to do so.
- Those taking blood thinning medications like coumadin. Dr Hillary has worked on those who are taking these medications, but coumadin can decrease clotting time, so in case of bleeding, it will take longer to clot. Other blood thinners such as aspirin, high dose fish oils, etc should be discontinued for at least 2-3 days prior in case of bleeding.
- Those who have PTSD, severe anxiety, are very fearful, and/or afraid of change. NCR is an invasive therapy and can cause some slight discomfort. Dr Hillary is highly experienced at helping her patients through the treatment process and whatever arises. NCR is a great treatment for anxiety, but we encourage you to talk with Dr Hillary if you are experiencing the above conditions and want to pursue NCR therapy.
- Those with metal plates, pins, or implants in the face or skull. If plates or pins cross sutural lines it is unlikely that the patient will get global movement because the joint structure is compromised. Facial implants such as nasal bridge implants, cheekbone implants, front teeth bridges, etc should be taken into consideration and discussed with Dr Hillary. Even though she has treated patients with facial implants with great success, we encourage a phone consultation for patients with any of these concerns. Please contact us for a free consultation today.
More Info: Related NCR News
Costs, Payment Options & Policies
Cost & Payment Options
Please call our office for cost and payment information. We do have payment plan options. We accept cash, check, VISA, MC, or Discover.
Scheduling a phone or Skype consult with Dr Hillary
Phone or Skype consultations are free and are offered to every prospective patient. This is a good time to ask questions, and for Dr Hillary to determine if NCR is right for you.
To schedule a phone consultation please use our contact form or call 888-870-7137.
Skype is a FREE way to talk over the internet. To learn more about Skype, click here.
Scheduling your NCR appointments
- If you would like to schedule an appointment, please visit the Montana clinic or Washington clinic pages for available sessions or click the "Schedule An Appointment" tab to the right and enter your full name, address, best phone, email, and date of birth.
- You will be contacted with appointment times via email or phone.
- We require a $300 deposit for new patients, and a $200 for returns. Your deposit will be collected at the time of confirming your appointment on the phone.
- Once the deposit has cleared, you will be sent an email confirmation of your appointment times.
- All the paperwork that you will need to fill out and bring with you to your appointment is available in the appointment form or by clicking the "Related NCR Resources" tab on the right. This will be further discussed in your confirmation email.
NCR is a treatment that you have likely researched, thought about, and discussed with Dr Hillary through consult. It is a process and we expect that you will be attending all four days. If you are not serious about scheduling, or you continue to be undecided, we ask that you schedule when you are ready and know that you can afford the treatment.
We understand that sometimes things come up and you may not be able to make your scheduled NCR appointments. Dr Hillary only sees a set number of patients per session, so to hold the spot we take a $300 deposit at the time of making your NCR session appointments.
WA State NCR Cancellation Policy
If you cancel your appointment within 14 days of your scheduled treatment you will receive a full refund. However, after that we will not refund the $300 unless we have a signed letter of emergency. The $300 will apply to any future session however, so please note that we can reschedule you.
MT State NCR Cancellation Policy
Dr Hillary travels to Montana on a bimonthly basis. Due to travel time and costs, we will not refund any of the deposit if cancelled in less than 30 days prior, without a letter of emergency. We will hold the $300 for a future session. This also applies to any NCR sessions outside of Washington state.
At NWNCM, LLC we require payment at time of service for both NCR and Office visits. We DO NOT bill health insurance directly. We will provide a detailed invoice for your submittal to insurance. Many of our patients get insurance reimbursement from 25%-100% depending on the plan. It is also beneficial for you to understand your policy and know how much out of contract coverage you have for naturopathic care. Dr Lampers will also write referral letters to other providers or to insurance, an appointment may apply.Click the "Related NCR FAQs" tab on the right for more insurance information.
Below are the CPT codes for new and return NCR patients for inquiry with your insurance.
|New Patient Visit|
|99204-25||1st Day - New Patient Initial Office Visit with extra procedure|
|97140-29||1st Day - 2 units Manual Therapy with distinct procedural|
|98925||1st Day - OMT- Osseous Manipulation 1-2 Body Parts|
|2nd-4th Days - 97140-29 and 98925|
|Return Patient Visit|
|99214-25||1st Day- Established Patient Extended office visit with other tx performed.|
|97140-29||1st Day - Manual therapy with distinct procedural code.|
|98925||1st Day -OMT- Osseous Manipulation 1-2 Body Parts|
|2nd-4th Days- 97140-29 and 98925|
More Info: Schedule An Appointment
Schedule An Appointment
Scheduling a phone consultation with Dr Hillary
Phone consultations are free and are offered to every prospective patient. This is a good time to ask questions, and for Dr Hillary to determine if NCR is right for you. To schedule a phone consultation please use the form below, or call 888-870-7137.
For more information on costs, payment options, scheduling, policies and more, click on the "Costs, Payment Options & Policies" tab on the right.
Request Your Appointment Online
Privacy Notice: We respect your right to privacy. We will never provide your information to any third-party. We use the information you provide solely to return your contact.
More Info: What is Neuro-Cranial Restructuring?